At the time the Octagon House was built in New London, approximately 1867-68, it was considered an architectural feat.
In addition to its eight-sided shape, it was quite a showplace in its time. The parlor was complete with pump organ, plush couches, and large framed portraits on easels.
A cupola on the roof topped a spiral staircase in the center of the house.
The house was built on N. Shawano St. near where the Chamber of Commerce is located in Pfeifer Park. The house was moved first to Hillshire land and then to the historical village in 1989. It is furnished today with period pieces donated by community residents.