Located near the village's C&NW depot is Soo Line Caboose # 138
built in 1888 by the Lafayette Car Works in Lafayette, Indiana, and used
by the Soo Line until the 1960's. This is a wooden cupola type caboose
donated to the New London Heritage Historical Village by William Winkler
and moved onto the site in 1990.
Next to the Soo Line caboose is the Chicago & North Western
Caboose #11153. It was built in 1968 and is made of steel. It
saw service on the coal trains of Wyoming during this boom of the 1970's
and its last service was between the Minneapolis and Duluth area. It
was moved to New London in 1993.
The most recent addition is a locomotive from the
Laona & Northern. This 300 horse-power diesel was built by the Vulcan
Iron Works in 1941. It was donated by Robert Polaske, and came to New
London in 1999.
The Chicago & North Western Caboose
A Soo Line Boxcar is also a part of the museum's
rollingstock collection. Inside the boxcar is a display of railroad
signs, maps, and other items.
There are also several small flatbed work cars on the grounds. Be sure
to visit the village's
for displays of interesting railroad artifacts and memorabilia.